I don't exactly remember when the idea got in my head, but at some point I thought, "With a degree in Exercise Science I could go on to Medical School." I quickly thought to myself, "Yeah, right! Me a doctor, I can't even stand to get a shot let alone see someone else get stuck with a needle." So I dismissed it, noting to myself that it was something I can't do. (Hmm, I wonder how many things we put in that category).
Now this is what I really realized tonight, I then proceeded with a self-destructive behavior that would prove that I can't do it. In my Anatomy, Physiology, and Chemistry classes I told myself I can't become a doctor and so I don't want to be a doctor and therefore I don't care about these classes and I just needed to pass them ("D" is for degree). So I did just what I had to in order to pass the class. (Now, some of you may think "Marcus, I saw you studying all night long at work for your Anatomy class, you worked really hard on that class. That is true, I did work hard. However, I know I didn't work as hard as I could.) I proceeded to tell myself that I was going to be an Exercise Physiologist. I had an easy route into grad school at UNT and it would not really require that much from me that I haven't already given. Then, in one of my conversations with my friend Steve (who was also my undergraduate research partner), I mentioned to him that if I were younger (I think that might have been on or around my 30th birthday) and didn't have a family that I need to support, then I would like to retake some of my classes and go on to med school. He reassured me in that he has had the same thoughts but with a family and being thirty it's not feasible to make that kind of commitment time wise or financially. So, I continued in my thinking however it was changing. No longer did I feel I can't become a doctor, but that I could have become a doctor, I just can't now.
A few months later (near the end of my last semester) I mentioned the notion to Anna, totally expecting her to dismiss the idea just as Steve had and reassure me in my thinking. However, she did not. She told me that she thinks I could become a doctor and that it is not too late and if that is what I want to do then do it. Since that conversation, my thought process has completely changed. I believe not just that I can become a doctor, but that I will be a doctor. Thank you, Anna for believing in me, even when I don't even realize I don't believe in myself. (Oh, and by the way for those who are wondering, as far as needles go, they don't bother me anymore. I have been watching the girls at my work get blood draws for the last year. So to prove to anyone who doesn't believe me, I will give blood at the next blood drive.)
So Anna, I challenge you to find what you learned from your experience at UVU that has prepared you or shaped you for the future and share it with your readers.


3 comments:
I don't know who studied behavioral science, you or me?
Right now I'm thinking maybe it was you because talking about everything with you last night and then thinking and writing about it today has really been therapuetic for me.
I no longer am feeling like education is trapped in my thoughts. Rather, I feel satisfied with what I've done and look forward to picking it up again when the time is right. Mostly I feel this way because you helped me recongnize that I did all I could at UVSC to reach my goal of becoming a professional social worker. Good job Hub! You get an A.
Also...
Way to recognize your own self-destructive behavior. Maybe you really did take a bunch of PSYCH classes that I don't know about.
Well, I was the T.A. for Sports Psych for a year and a half.
Post a Comment