25 June 2008

20 Years

20 Years Ago (1988)

I was 10 years old with a dream of being an Olympic Athlete. I didn't quite understand that you could compete in just one event. So, I started practicing all the events that I saw while watching the Summer Games. I even found some scrap wood in our garage that I cut and nailed together to make a hurdle to practice jumping over. Even though I never achieved my dreams of being an Olympian, I developed a deep love for the Summer Games that remains even today. There is a part of me that feels like I'm 10 years old again watching the Seoul Olympics.
10 Years Ago (1998)
It was very critical year for me. I was at a crossroads, and the decisions I made changed my life and the direction it has gone. I was 20 years old and on the fast track to becoming a very successful head basketball coach. I was the Head Coach for the 7th grade boys basketball team at the Episcopal School of Dallas, as well as Head Coach and General Manager of the Plano Power (a 16 and under girls A.A.U. traveling team), and an Assistant Coach at Collin County Community College for their women's basketball team (The Head Coach at CCCC went on to coach at Baylor, who went on to win a National Championship). This was the year I decided to find out if the Church is true. Obviously, once you start asking the questions to find out if the church is true, you will find out the answer to that. I submitted my mission papers that year and left for Argentina the next. I left coaching basketball to serve the Lord and the people of Argentina. Even though I never went back to coaching, I don't regret my decision at all.
5 Years Ago (2003)
I was teaching Early Morning Seminary for the Denton 4th Ward. I had just moved out of my parents' house and moved in with my friend Samuel "Babe" Bigley. I was working at Mayday Pest Control as the lead technician. I had started to take BYU independent study classes in hopes to get into BYU and their marriage and family program (but more so to go through the seminary pre-service program). I was the regional building counselor for the EFY program as they piloted the concept to have a B.C. in different areas that could help recruit counselors and work with the locations where the camps would be held (the next year I would go on to be a coordinator and meet Anna at a training and work with her at the BYU sessions that year). That summer I decided to move to Provo that fall. And so I did.
3 Years Ago (2005)
I married Anna that year, and we moved into our little apartment that we have since lived in. I was teaching Seminary at Provo High School and the prospect of getting hired full time was looking very optimistic. I decided to get back into school and finish my degree. After succeeding and getting into BYU, I went and talked to Jason Slack at Utah Valley State College about their Exercise Science program. Then I decided to transfer and start classes at UVSC (I took that semester off of teaching Seminary to focus on my classes and I haven't looked back, I loved the experience but I love where I am going much more). I started working at Provo Canyon School doing nightwatch, which was a good job to allow me to do my homework while at work. We got pregnant with Connor who was born the next year.
1 Year Ago (2007)
This was a fun year. We had a lot of fun with Connor. He went to school with Anna and I, as we switched off going to class and watching C. I had a lot of fun with him as we would go to the Science Building and he loved the animals that are there. Connor went on his 1st vacation to Las Vegas for the Osmond 50th Anniversary Concert during the summer. Also, that fall we went on a trip to Chicago to go on the Opera Show with all the other Osmonds. The Mavs went out in the first round of the playoffs to the eight seeded Golden State Warriors (a year after losing in the NBA finals) after winning over 60 games in regular season and having the best record in the NBA. I really improved my golf game, hitting straighter and longer drives and more accurate shots. I mostly played at the executive course at East Bay Golf Club. My best score was a 4 over par 33.
So Far This Year (2008)
I graduated with a bachelor's degree from Utah Valley University. I decided I want to go on to Medical School and become a D.O. We found out we are pregnant and James will be born in July. Connor turned 2 and it just so happened that on his birthday we were at Disney World for the Miracle Children's Network Telethon with the rest of the Osmond family (a totally awesome vacation by the way, it was legen… wait for it… dary!) Also, I went to Maryland with a group from UVSC for the National Convention for Undergraduate Research which I presented about correlations between physical activity levels and academic performance. We will be moving to Texas in about a month and a half.
Yesterday
I stopped at Wal-Mart and bought two Elmo DVDs for Connor on my way home from work. After waking up I hung out with Anna and Connor, we had dinner and watched Celebrity Family Feud (such great summer television lineups). Then we went and played at a mound of dirt and a playground and then came home and Connor went to bed. Then Anna and I watched some of America's Got Talent (again those great summer lineups). I got ready and went to work.
Today
I'm at work and it is 3 am in the a.m., what can I say.
Tomorrow I will…
Go to sleep when I get home from work. Wake up and play with Anna and Connor. Eat dinner and go play at the playground with Connor. Put Connor to bed and get ready and go to work again.
In The Next Year I Will…
Be in Texas, working at Zerorez and getting ready to apply to Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (taking classes and preparing for the MCAT). I will also be enjoying my two sons as they grow up. And spending whatever time I can with them and my wonderful wife, Anna.

6 comments:

Marcus said...

Hub you did such a good job! Thank you for writing this post, it will be fun to put it with mine in our book.

Marcus said...

That was me, Anna, by the way that made that last comment...don't worry...you did not make it to yourself.

Shirley said...

You said you were blogging at work. Do they have the internet now?? Right after I leave?

Marcus said...

No, they don't have internet there. That'll be the day. I just use the Microsoft word blog template that will save my post and then upload it when I connect to the internet.

Shirley said...

That's too bad! I thought since you got nextels that maybe the CEO was getting the idea of treating employees well. That's a good idea to write it on a document and just upload it. Probably makes work a little bit more fun!

Bonfire said...

hey marcus,
don't know if you remember me or not (efy 2004 san antonio). i came across your blog on spanky's blog. sounds like life is treating you well. :)
take care
bonnie stern