Ok, so I'm positive that the three readers of this blog also read my wife, Anna's blog. So she wrote about the episode of Hopkins that we watched last night and how it made her and I emotional to watch a two year old boy nearly die and how it affected his family. Anyway, at one point a doctor was brought in to consult with about the boy's case and his reply was that they should just let the boy die. Both Anna and I were taken back and we had to rewind and watch it again because we couldn't believe he just said that. Fortunately for the little boy and his family, their doctor wouldn't give up and at the end he talked about how these are the times that his job is the most rewarding and it makes the hard times worth it. I feel that a pediatric surgeon is probably the most polarizing type of job for a doctor. You have the lowest of lows when a case doesn't go well and you can't save a child, but when you do save a child I can't think of anything more rewarding in this field than that.
3 comments:
I do not ever want you to be the doctor that says "just let the person die"...especially a child. I know you won't be, though. You have much more intelligence, faith, courage, and optimism than that.
Yeah, me too! You are going to be a great Dr.!!
Likewise, I can't imagine you ever being that kind of a doctor. But, I can imagine you being a special advocate for those little ones.
Post a Comment